Hi, there! I’m Joel.
I’m a navel-gazing news nerd working and writing from New York City. I’m a speaker, a writer, and a social media strategist and audience development consultant, a nerd who loves postulating about where media is headed and how publishers can stay ahead of the curve.
I work at GQ Magazine, in audience development, using data to demystify strategic decision-making for Conde Nast’s corporate leadership and GQ’s editorial and product teams.
Before GQ, I was at Mic, a news site. I piloted online audience development across mobile apps, partnerships, newsletters and distributed social platforms, building and helming teams to tackle each of those contact points in turn.
I’ve headed up social media strategy at the New York Post & Page Six, the 5th largest newspaper in the country and the Big Apple’s juiciest gossip column, and the iPad-only news startup The Daily. My writing and photography have appeared in the New York Times Magazine, GQ Magazine, the New York Post, Page Six, Huffington Post and more.
Some things I’m good at:
- helping publishers understand how to use signals from their readers to build massive loyal audiences and monetize their attention
- writing about the Internet on the Internet
- designing smart social media strategy for brands, publishers, and personalities
- predicting what’s going to happen next in the crazy fast-moving world of digital media
- building and programming mobile apps, writing and optimizing email newsletters, and helping product teams figure out how to build habit-forming online experiences
- dabbling in SEO, graphic design, & video production